Recently, the question, “Is your home a healthy home?” provoked some internal evaluation. I thought, well, I don’t smoke, and there isn’t any illegal drugs…
My home is a healthy home, right? Wrong. I decided to read labels on my cleaning and hygiene products and said to myself, this is scary. If you and I were awakened to the effects of toxic chemicals used in our homes on a daily basis, we would be moved to action and not tolerate any toxic chemicals either in our home or for personal hygiene. Household chemicals can gradually make you and your family sick. The World Resources Institute says, “The typical home now contains over sixty-three hazardous products that together contain hundreds of different chemicals.” At the same time there has been an equally dramatic rise in the incidence of certain chronic health problems. Research indicates that it is more than coincidence that the dramatic rise these various diseases has coincided with the increased use of hazardous, man-made chemicals in the home.
Chemicals that can cause death, cancer, central nervous system disorders, learning disorders, birth defects, respiratory illness, and many other health problems appear in most of the cleaning and personal care products in your home. It may be difficult, however, to tell which health risks a particular product poses. Since manufacturers do not list long-term health effects on the packages and are not required to list the ingredients, it’s impossible to learn all the health risks by reading the label.
What To Look For
- Read labels. Learn what is toxic. Learn to discern what you fill your space with, what you clean your home, your body and your resources. Although it would take a second book to cover all the ingredients listed on household cleaning products, one in particular is formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is frequently used in personal and household products because it is a cheap preservative. The following information is taken from a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which, by law, must be applied to anyone who uses any chemical product in the workplace. The MSDS formaldehyde warns: “Suspected carcinogen: may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through skin; causes burns; inhalation can cause spasms, edema (fluid buildup) of the larynx and bronchi, and chemical pneumonitis; extremely destructive to tissue of the mucus.”
- All these symptoms and more are caused by formaldehyde. “Yet manufacturers can put this ingredient in shampoo and not list it as an ingredient,” states Debra Lynn Dadd, author of, Home Safe Home. You will be shocked to know that formaldehyde is a common ingredient in baby shampoo, bubble bath, deodorants, perfume, hair dye, mouthwash, toothpaste and many other personal items. One thing I need to state is that the amount of formaldehyde is slight in these products, nevertheless, it is considered a suspected cardinogen and produces a risk. If all cancers start from the abnormal growth of one cell, then why allow any amount into your body?
- The good news is you can make a change. Switch to safer, healthier and more natural cleaning and personal hygiene products.
- Be conscious of the effects on your body and how you feel on a day by day basis. What most doctors and scientists who investigate illnesses related to chemical toxicity contend that it is not the amount of chemicals that a person is exposed to but how sensitive they are to a certain chemical. It depends on a persons size and weight and the strength of their detox system.
- Build a healthy immune system through quality supplements and a healthy diet and exercise routine.
Are you in a quandary in what to be rid of in your home in order to make your home a healthy home? Please feel free to contact me in regards to what to do with the toxins in your home, what products am I using in my home for a healthier home and how to use them. To learn about toxins in your home visit and receive a free ebook about this very topic, with no strings attached at http://victory.toxinchecklist.com/ and http://victory.healthyhometour.com/